Sunday 27 November 2011

Fire and Sword


Its taken me a long time to get around to reading the third book in the Simon Scarrow series about Wellington and Napoleon. Not sure why that is so. Perhaps because there is less opportunity to read now that the long lazy summer days are gone. Or more likely because I did not enjoy The Generals, the second in the series, as much as I did Young Bloods, the first.

Fire and Sword deals with the period 1804 to 1809, much more interesting to me than the early Napoleonic era. I find Scarrow very easy to read, and I was impressed that there is very little fiction in these novels. I am not saying that it would be difficult to find parts when he lets his imagination run a little wild. But they are close enough to the truth not to offend too much.

I have read a lot of books about both the military history of the period, and the personal life of Napoleon. Less so about Wellington, as there is less available. But I still enjoyed this book. And I would recommend it to anyone not too well read on the period who wants an easy introduction.

Perhaps I will not leave it so long before I read the last volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have set the settings for comments to come to me before posting so that I will not miss any